APAO is committed to:
- Promoting the science and art of ophthalmology among all people and nations of the region;
- Promoting prevention of blindness activities and restoration of sight through teaching, research, service and any other way deemed appropriate by the APAO Council;
- Fostering co-operation between ophthalmological societies in different countries and collaborating with other international or regional organizations with similar aims;
- Organizing and holding regional congresses or other conferences and such other educational and scientific activities including research;
- Preparing and publishing scientific papers, journals and other publications;
- Raising funds and obtaining financial assistance through donations, sponsorships or otherwise for the attainment of any or all of the objectives; and
- Doing all such other things incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objectives.
To this end, 18 Standing Committees were set up in 2010, each with a unique purpose to drive ophthalmology forward in the Asia-Pacific region.